Happy Birthday! It's such a big deal to turn 18. I'm sure many people reading this can remember that day. I think this list bears repeating but for you I want to add a couple of extra rules...
Kiddo, It's okay to have fun, to stretch the rules... especially if you want to be a filmmaker. You gotta stretch out, explore, try new things, don't get wound up about the stupid stuff that you CANNOT change. Sometimes you are going to need to step outside of yourself, unclench (yes, I did say unclench... no one likes someone who sucks the fun out of room) and let go. The worst that anybody can do to you is never as bad as you think. (I qualify that with unless you fall in with a drug cartel and murder someone and then betray the drug cartel boss to the FBI then you are in a world of serious pain but if that happens with you, I'll be surprised.) After Northwestern or Cal or UCLA (whatever you choose Ms. Smartypants), the stress, bills, jobs, family and obligations will come fairly quickly and you don't want to wake up at forty wondering where your life went. It's not that it will be wasted per se but fun will be harder to come by because well... see the above sentence.
Enjoy your life, stop stressing over it. The stress will come soon enough.
With much love,
1. Always forward, never retreat!
2. Never get into a car with a stranger, you go out fighting.
3. Never take pictures or video of you naked or having sex (unless you're a porn star). It will always get out into the real world, when you least expect it.
4. Never yell 'Help!' Always yell 'Fire!'
5. Trust your instincts, they are always correct.
6. The world is yours for the taking but it takes hard work.
7. Never date a man who you wouldn't be proud to call his son yours.
8. Always question everything.
9. It's always harder to do the right thing.
10. It's also harder to be kind, caring, patient, and generous.
11. Do the hard stuff. See rules 9&10.
12. Manners are the moisturizer of life.
13. If it smells like fish, then it's not good.
14. If somebody doesn't love you for who you are, then they are not worthy of your time or your heart.
15. There is nothing wrong for wanting to be a better person.
16. Never stop wanting to learn because the day that happens you are dead as a human being.
and 2 to grow on....
17. Don't over analyze everything. 95% of the time when you think people have a problem with you, it's actually because they have a problem with themselves or preoccupied with other things that have nothing to do with you. When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
18. And always ask yourself this in times of stress...
If you died right now, would what ever is stressing you out at this moment actually be a problem?
Chances are no... so react accordingly.
next up.... cheesecake part deux.
Posted by krysta at 8:00 PM