*if you don't know Katie's story...click here and read that first.
Happy Birthday Monkey Butt! Yes, I just called my daughter a monkey butt. In Chinese astrology, she's born in the Year of the Monkey and it couldn't be more fitting. She's chatty, clever, witty, and steals food off your plate. Seriously... hide your food, because if that little tidbit sitting on your plate for more than an extra second longer than necessary, she'll snatch that delectable morsel right out from under your nose! Bad Monkey!
She's my Audrey Hepburn in Converse! Drama Queen Galore, that would be her drag queen name. Katie has a personality that you either love or hate and she'll talk to anybody, after she shakes your hand and introduces herself. What a politician. Not so good at math, but really good at chemistry. It rained on the day she was born. Likes the color orange. Is always smiling. Favorite food is sushi. Could tell you Obama's platform by heart, which drives her conservative dad CRAZY! also wanting to go to Berkeley is also driving him to an early grave. Damn Liberals! (score; Mom: 1... Dad (not Rich)...0) So what I guess what I am trying to say...
Katie, everyday blows me away! You are turning into a young, beautiful, and graceful woman more and more right in front of my eyes. You are much more poised that I ever was or will be. I know I lucked out when you came around because the odds were bad and here came this little happy, forgiving, and most importantly healthy baby. Even with that ugly witch toe, I would never trade you in!
Mom's 16 for Katie's 16...
1. Always forward, never retreat!
2. Never get into a car with a stranger, you go out fighting.
3. Never take pictures or video of you naked or having sex (unless you're a porn star). It will always get out into the real world, when you least expect it.
4. Never yell 'Help!' Always yell 'Fire!'
5. Trust your instincts, they are always correct.
6. The world is yours for the taking but it takes hard work.
7. Never date a man who you wouldn't be proud to call his son yours.
8. Always question everything.
9. It's always harder to do the right thing.
10. It's also harder to be kind, caring, patient, and generous.
11. Do the hard stuff. See rules 9&10. It also includes homework and chores.
12. Manners are the moisturizer of life.
13. If it smells like fish, then it's not good.
14. If somebody doesn't love you for who you are (ugly toe and all), then they are not worthy of your time or your heart.
15. There is nothing wrong for wanting to be a better person.
16. Never stop wanting to learn because the day that happens you are dead as a human being.
one to grow on...
17. No matter what.... I love you.*
*except... maybe I won't... if you turn out to be a serial killing, live in a shack uni-bomber, drug lord, dictator Jim Jones type. I might have to question my love for you.
Happy Sweet Sixteenth Kiddo!